04:22 UTC+0, 2024-03-29
  • Page 1 of 1
Forums » Discussions » Tactics and Techniques » Content - RavenShield
Content - RavenShield
RaptorDate: Thursday, 2012-04-19, 15:34 | Message # 1
Group: Commander
Awards: 0
Ice had the idea to gather some tips for RvS. So I'll start here to give my opinion.
The fundamentels of our tactics still hold for RvS, but the movements and patterns differ a little bit due to the different circumstances.

Let's start with the basic skill needed: weapon control.
Our fundamental is still standing: you need to have the right weapon for the current fighting distance and you need to be able to control your weapon 100%.
Difference: in RvS you have various fighting distances depending on the map and you have a huge arsenal of weapons where additionaly each one can be modified. Futhermore the team may either approach silent or loud, so your weapon must be either suppressed or not.
So same thing like in Swat: look at the available weapons and practice with different ones until you found at least one weapon which fits your shooting style for every fighting distance. If you enter the planning screen in singler player, you can get futher information about all weapons.
I prefer small caliber and therefore usually take the following weapons (ordered by appropriate fighting range):
Pistol:
P-228 (+silencer if needed)
SMG:
MP5A4 (+scope incase there are some medium range areas)
MP5SD (+scope)
AR:
AUG (+ silencer)
M4 (+scope or +silencer)
G36 (+silencer)
Sniperrifle:
AW Covert (+ infrared vision)
PSG1 (+ infrared vision)
Most important thing about your weapon: YOU must feel comfortable and safe with our weapon. If you don't trust your gun, you become unconfident and start to make mistakes.

Next thing: formation.
Again fundamentals hold: Pointman and Coverman form up the basic assault team; pointman crouches if possible; a RG is always handy.
Differences:
The enemy may use frag grenades against you. So keep some distance and allow the guys in front of you a quick retreat if necessary.
Tangos are much more aggresive and there are greater fighting ranges. Both demands to use cover and concealment more often than in CQB. This also leads to a more loose formation. Your movements are dictated by the available cover, not only by the guys in front of you. Use your surrounding!

Communication becomes even more important.
Usually a contact in CQB is easy to see, and you have taken down the contact before reported it. Situation changes when distance grows. Your team mates may not be aware of the contact. You need more time to aim carefully and you may need more than one burst.
So if you report the contact, you teammates may take cover and/or put some additional bullets into the target putting it down faster saving the day. Be presice and short: contact left/front/right/rear [low/up] [window/door/roof/whatever...]. Use clock system to give exact direction or give futher information about the window (which floor? which window number, starting to count from left to right). Also report "contact down" or "clear" to make sure the team can proceed.
Yell out incomming frag nades! Yell out team members down!
Futhermore the team moves in a more loose formation. Combined with the lack of helm cameras, you should make sure everyone knows what goes on, where to move next. Especially the RG need such comments to know when to move on. Also you can tell your team which area you cover currently, so the rest of the team can move on or cover a different AoR.
Since most of us are still learning RvS and our tactics are not really well worked out right now, communication is even more important.

Stacking and open doors.
Since doors in RvS are realistic (unlike swat4), we can't use a single way of stacking for each door. Just make sure the team get the most possible cover. Consider the way you want to open the door: slowly and carefully or quick and full open at once.

Movement speed.
Like in Swat4 you can approach either in a fast dynamic or slow stealth manner. Choose the right speed (and tacaids) for the situation at hand.
Unlike Swat4 you can't stop and hold at every position! After shoots fired, tangos may come and search for you. They may flank you, frag your team or start even kinda dynamic attack against you. No matter whether your team is in open area or inside a bulding: make sure you have an advantage position with good cover if you want to hold. Ofc there may be things infront of your team which slows down or even forces a hold. But try to proceed as fast as possible if your team isn't currently in good cover position. Don't think you are safe just because you do not move like in Swat4!
It can be a good tactic to bring teammembers in good, covered shooting postitions, then make noise and take out the tangos which come to search for you wink

"Teamwork is essential, it gives them someone else to shoot at."
Murphy's Laws of Combat #9

LecterDate: Friday, 2012-04-20, 09:04 | Message # 2
Group: NCO
Good heads up, commander. Cant wait to play RvS together with all of you.

May the forces of evil become confused on the way to your house

,,Not a single chainsaw was given that day...''

RaptorDate: Tuesday, 2012-05-29, 23:20 | Message # 3
*reminder*
Since we had a few gaming session together in RvS recently I wanted to remind you about this post, especially:

Quote (Raptor)
Since most of us are still learning RvS and our tactics are not really well worked out right now, communication is even more important.

SAS_RandomDate: Thursday, 2012-05-31, 13:26 | Message # 4
Group: Registered
Good points, Raptor. RvS is a great game for practicing tactical movement, situational awareness, and developing your weapon skill at all ranges. An excellent game that remains fun after all these years because no game company has been able to make a fundamentally better game.

Finally, there are some nice games like ArmAII which are very impressive, but it's been a very long time to wait for something better than RvS.

I know it seems like I'm plugging the SAS Mod, but I felt it appropriate to mention that now the AI in SWAT will act much more like in RvS as they come to look for you based upon the noises you make. I've played some small maps with many tangos where as many as 7 tangos leave their normal areas and enter hallways or open doors on your team from multiple directions. The Children of Taronne map is a great example of more lively AI for the SAS Mod.

The center, double-level, chemical mixing room at Taronne is no longer the climax to the mission since the tangos leave that room when they know the building is being assaulted by SWAT.

SAS_Vet_Random
Lt. Colonel (Retired)
22nd SAS Elite Virtual Regiment
www.sasclan.org

RaptorDate: Thursday, 2012-05-31, 13:43 | Message # 5
Quote (SAS_Random)

I know it seems like I'm plugging the SAS Mod,...

Yes, you do.

Quote (SAS_Random)
...but I felt it appropriate to mention

Yes, it is biggrin

I'm currently working on some of our tactical posts. While I modify them I try to make them more general. So the new texts should fit Swat4 and RvS in almost the same way (since we/I have experince in this both games right now). Guess I have to change/add again some details when we are finally able to play the SAS mod smile

PS: Random, nice to see that you didn't forget about our small tactical corner biggrin

Forums » Discussions » Tactics and Techniques » Content - RavenShield
  • Page 1 of 1
Search:

Communications