• Page 1 of 2
  • »
Forums » Discussions » Casual Discussions » TakeDown Opinions
TakeDown Opinions
RaptorDate: Saturday, 2013-09-21, 01:04 | Message # 1
Group: Commander
Awards: 0
So here are my experiences after the first COOP rounds today:

First of all the gameplay itself feels great. Character movement, aiming, weapon recoil, all good and well. The aiming with grenades is kinda weird and difficult. Plus opening/closing doors sometimes works from 3 meters distance and other times it doesn't work when you are directly next to the door.
Grahpics and Controls are ok. The enemy AI is acceptable. Most of default maps are nice, the Radar Station is actually awesome, only the Facility is aweful.

The released version suffers from some serious bugs, in particular the following things do not work properly:
- joining servers
- saving and selecting your loadout
- selection of map and insertpoint
I'm confident that they will be fixed soon.

What bugs me far more is the lack of important features.
1) There is only a short birefing text in SP with very limited infos. In MP there is nothing, not even objectives until you spawn. That makes the planned Release Party Session kinda senseless. Although it shouldn't be an issue in casual gameplay when you know the maps already, and neither in LiveOps when one of us writes the Briefing for a custom map.
There is also no debriefing showing kills, you only get to know which objectives were completed.

2) You can't choose your loadout freely during the briefing. You setup 4 equipment-sets in the main menu (currently bugged as well), and during the briefing you can only select one of this saved sets. Hence one can't use the numerous options without a disconnect and reconnecting all the time (weapon, attachment, ammo type, sec weapon, protection, tacaids).
In particular this issue is absolutely not understandable for me. One can't use the low budget or the limited time as excuse here because there is a proper screen to select your EQ. It's just totally at the wrong place.

Last but not least one should mention that is hard to identify your teammates and give proper orders because all friendly operators usually look pretty similar and there is no radar, no helmetcam, no 3D positional voice chat, no handsignals and no way to mark a location (except your flashlight which can be seen by enemies).

All in all I'm disappointent. If you havn't bought the game yet, I recommend you wait and see what the next patches can fix.

"Teamwork is essential, it gives them someone else to shoot at."
Murphy's Laws of Combat #9

BoooneDate: Saturday, 2013-09-21, 01:25 | Message # 2
Group: Lieutenant
I don't have the game so I can't really judge from own experience, but I thought I'd just throw this in here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_TJYIHZ4bKM

RaptorDate: Saturday, 2013-09-21, 02:00 | Message # 3
I didn't experienced such AI blackouts as shown in the vid, but I only played the game and did not test the AI behaviour (i.e. I shoot tangos on sight).

About the loadout menu: mb I missed the "Modify" button. But for me selecting Weapons and tacaids worked, selecting attachments and in particular the suppressor did not.

LuisDate: Saturday, 2013-09-21, 06:32 | Message # 4
Group: NCO
Quote (Raptor)
The aiming with grenades is kinda weird and difficult.
I didnt found that hard at all...

LuisDate: Saturday, 2013-09-21, 10:41 | Message # 5
Group: NCO
Note to self: Dont play singeplayer, bots are sh**!

Jack0725Date: Saturday, 2013-09-21, 11:37 | Message # 6
Group: Enlisted
As I saw (played training in Killhouse and couple of maps) singleplayer is... well... so-so. AI is even worse than in SWAT 4, I can't edit my loadout when I'm in briefing room, I can't plan my movements like in R6 and I can't make my orders to my allies (don't count R6: Vegas stuff with only 2 kinds of orders like "defence-offence" and "move-hold"). But still I've enjoyed. Don't know why.

"Dunon eddi aidulegos
Treba ansra nu eddi onnas
Druco-critus me gabici
Rac senoxs auagomos
Aue, aue, inte noxtin"

Message edited by Jack0725 - Saturday, 2013-09-21, 11:38

RaptorDate: Sunday, 2013-09-22, 17:49 | Message # 7
After playing some more rounds, I must admit that the game currently is quite difficult due to some bugs/issues.

Because of the loadout issue, your team is often not really good equiped. The lack of floorplans makes it hard to plan a route and avoid dangerous areas or room, or at least approach them from the best direction with according preparation. It's hard to identify team mates in-game, hence it's difficult to stay in buddy teams.
Almost all doors are open, which forces you to clear many rooms which are not relevant for your objective (or at least approach them to close the door). Some hallways are serious trouble because of that.
Moreover you don't have many tacaid (max 4 flash per operator) compared to the number of rooms/openings. And the flashbangs are not really effective ( easily blocked by obstacles, no smoke to cover our entry).

About throwing grenades: yea, with a short practice it works. Altought sometimes the grenade just bounces at the door frame or pointman. Not sure if it's a bug, a feature "desired realistic, slightly inaccurate grenade aiming" or just an operator mistake due to the heat of the battle.

RaptorDate: Monday, 2013-09-30, 18:53 | Message # 8
Small Update:  The developers still work on the game and try to patch things up, but the team is small and hence needs a lot of time.

My 2 cents:
What must be patched before we really can play tactical COOP:
- current effects of flash- and fraggrenades are too low and can easily be block even by small objectes
- we need a way to identify team mates; a floating name would be ok, armpatches or names at the back of the vest would be better

Very important issues:
- full dedicated server support for COOP including at least MotD, PW, Server Name, map rotation settings
- opportunity to select EQ freely in the briefing/lobby screen, not only in the main menu

Further important stuff:
- increase strength/range of the tactical flashlights
- close some doors
- improve the enemy AI
- release SDK for the mapper and modder community
- add option for situation/mission briefings in MP

CivilianDate: Saturday, 2013-10-05, 05:31 | Message # 9
Group: Civilian

Weapon recoil is ridiculous in my opinion.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XwdH7383daw

RaptorDate: Tuesday, 2013-10-15, 02:14 | Message # 10
I just spent some nice hours with Master and Recon playing TD, uploaded some vids wink

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6asFHdPglQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOrjg_p2npw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsQSc_EDiHA

Quote Civilian ()
Weapon recoil is ridiculous in my opinion.

Never used a weapon in real-life, but for me the recoil and accuracy in TD feel realistic. And I really love the weapon handling.
Both Swat4 and RavenShield don't have iron sights or scopes. They give you this artificial reticles as visual aid to aim. To compensate this supernatural "aiming device", they add artificial weapon sway so your aim gets messed up when moving or firing. For me this often feels like my in-game character is just too stupid to hit. Moreover Swat4 also gives you an immediate accuracy bonus when you go crouch, completely ignoring that such a movement IRL would really mess up your aim for 1-2 seconds.
In TD there is no reticle. By default your weapon is at your should and shoots to the middle of your screen. So it’s completely up to you to aim, i.e. estimate where the middle of your screen is (turning on the tactical flashlight helps though, like IRL wink ). If you miss in the heat of the battle, it’s your own fault and not because of some random weapon sway to simulate recoil or body-movement. Moreover TD features iron sights and scopes. It’s really smooth to bring them up and aim. But nevertheless it takes a few split-seconds. It’s your call whether to shoot fast from the should or take the time to aim down the sights. And shooting while moving is no big deal.
All in all it feels far more realistic than in Swat4 or RvS. It’s kind of similar to Arma2 + ACE, but bringing up the scope and moving in buildings goes far smoother.

Forums » Discussions » Casual Discussions » TakeDown Opinions
  • Page 1 of 2
  • »
Search:

Communications